June 29, 2006

Ding! Peas are done.

Have you ever eaten peas straight off the vine, fresh from the pod? It is one of life's unequalled pleasures. Definitely in the Top 10 Spinning Girl Best Things Ever (this list also includes Beethoven's 9th Symphony, Aurora Borealis, and the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. So the peas are in good company).


Here is how they grow,
supported by twine and climbing,
tendril by tendril, skyward.
This is my father's garden.

When the pod is firm but still bright green,

the peas are ripe!

There's a trick to opening the pod.

I learned it from my grandfather

and must demonstrate to show you correctly.

Look at those babies, all lined up, just waiting for me.


Their taste is summer itself.

15 comments:

jamwall said...

i love fresh unhindered peas in the pod! i've tried growing the canned peas, but they never grow with the green giant label!

"K" Fingerett said...

Mmmm... looks yummy ^_^

What else does he have growing there? Just wondering...


~K

Spinning Girl said...

Watch for a future post on this very topic! As soon as blogger photo-upload stops being an oss wee pay.

Bill said...

Life's tragedies are many and not the least of them is what happens to fruits and vegetables when they make that long sad trek to the city, particularly cities more than a stone's throw from the farm.

Summer IS peas. And rhubrab. And watermelon and strawberries and raspberries and lettuce and, dare I say it, the most middle-class of vegetables, that lonesome middle manager of the world of agriculture, the hapless carrot.

Yet I get dying refugees in the local produce department. This means rising early on weekends for the trudge to the Farmer's Market with crowds roughly equally New Delphi thoroughfares.

Ah well ... it's summer! To hell with your obscure vegetables from lands with polysyllabic names I stumble over - give me the PEA!!!!! Bright green and crisp as M & Ms.

Bill said...

In my emotional outburst, some typos ... that should be "equalling New Delhi."

dizzy von damn! said...

that last picture is sexy.

Scarlet Traces said...

peas fresh from the pod are de-lish!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am lost and wandering aimlessly. I want to know where I can find that girl with the lovely snatch. the one who is giving the bird twice. I heard that means something. I am turning gay as the days go by, from waiting too long for a man around these parts. My parts that is, come on over and see the state I'm in folks. Mash peas on a fork is too hard I like to carry them on da fork. Mind p's and q's at my place, don't complain about the mess. Chew with mouthclosed 100 times or the devil will give you nightmares. Peas are easy peasy.

Spinning Girl said...

huh?

DaMasta said...

LMAO @ comment above.

All of a sudden, I have to pee.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

Man do those look fantastic. I absolutely love peas on the vine. Peel off the "string" and open up the pod. YUMMY!!

Anonymous said...

Hollarin at cha from Tits McGee...
I never have had peas str8 off the pod, vine...
**was wondering if you had any more of that vicodin left? Wonder if I have the right blog-where did the bite of sushi go?
Did you eat it?!

Anna said...

I am in total agreement over the fresh peas. I am amazed how few people have experienced it.

True Zen of the senses. Summer, taste and memory all rolled into one.

Yum

Sarah said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment! Your peas look fantastic! I like those tall ones as they look easy to pick. This year, I have grown the shorter plants. I've been picking and eating peas everyday and they are so delicious that I don't mind how time consuming it is to shell them. I tend to pick them a little small, so they are extra sweet. I'm going to check out the rest of your blog now and hope you will write more posts about what you have growing! Sarah

madge said...

mmmmmmmmmmm