April 03, 2006

Nostalgika V: All the Coolest Toys

I never had a Lite Brite; I was so envious of my cousins, who did. Sometimes I play online Lite-Brite to console myself.

I never had a close-n-play, either. I thought it was so cool that you could carry your music around with you. I finally got one when I turned 35.

Spirograph was the greatest. I never, ever used the unusual-shaped drawing tools except for the football. I liked the smoothness of using the circles. My grandfather made me a Spirograph board with two nails sticking out of it, which was wayyyy better than the cheapo plastic-pegged holders the kit came with. The only thing I didn't like was that you were left with two holes in your paper. That doesn't happen with online Spirograph (I haven't found a great one yet; have you?)

By far the best toy of all was the Spin-Art. God, what a mess that made. I always made the mistake of overdoing it and not knowing when to quit. It would be beautiful for a minute or so and by the end I've have this mud-colored mess. Story of my life.

18 comments:

Rrramone said...

How could you leave off the EtchaSketch? Travesty.

aughra said...

I have my old spirograph still. It was from a neighbor's garage sale. The box says 1967.

Tits McGee said...

Spirograph and Spin-Art were cool, but I was obsessed with my Lite-Brite, and plan to buy one for my kid as soon as she's old enough to not eat the pegs.

Thanks for the online link - I will now while away my insomniac hours creating beautiful Lite-Brite landscapes.

Osbasso said...

Lite-Brite was a little after my time, but I had the rest of those. Spent hours with the Spirograph, and was so excited to find the online one, but you're right--it doesn't quite cut it. But the Spin Art--hours and hours of fun! I'm impressed that you still have some artwork (or is that a recent piece?). As for your mud comment--a great line. I think you and I are cut from the same cloth!

Juliabohemian said...

My kids have the light brites and the spinning art. They were both gifts, of course.

But do you remember the SPEAK & SPELL. It was the peak of Texaw Instruments Technology.

Brookelina said...

I had all these toys. And many others. Fuck I was spoiled.

DaMasta said...

Oh, great, thanks. I just wasted an hour of my life playing online LiteBrite.

miss kendra said...

i have no internets! i am stealing this from the man down the hall!

don't forget me!

tuuna taco said...

omg you are too funny..."story of my life"...haha!

we did so have a lite-brite, it's in my basement as we speak. maybe I just never let you play with it?

Christophe said...

And I just used to read as a child.

jiggs said...

that spin art discussion made me cry a little bit.

snavy said...

Spirograph rocks - I bought one for ... my um ... kids this Christmas.

Now spin art -- that was cool!!!!

Lite Brite never did anything for me. The black paper ran out too quickly and construction paper just wasn't the same....

Madge said...

Lite-Brite & Spirograph: good nostalgika, SG, good nostalgika.

MadMeer said...

My love for Lite Brite glows like no other.

Oooh ooh! I made you something! Go see! I posted it on my site.

I tried the online spyro-graph too, but it is sooo sloooow. I couldn't make it.

wanaki said...

Oh my Gawd! All of these were freakin' kick-ass! I guess I was a little spoiled too. I had them all at some point. The Lite Brite online rocks!

JJ said...

I think I had all those at one time or another. I remember playing with them thinking to myself, "Wow, if only Spinner was here to see this."

Anna said...

HOLY CRAP! I had all of those things! WOW - total flashabck.

Freiya said...

Oh , i loved Spirograph, i used to while away the hours just making what really amounts to the same picture over and over again :)
The bit you wrote about the Spin-Art made me both laugh and feel sad as well, it was an emotional rollercoaster for a short while there.....