March 27, 2006

Nostalgika III: Land of the Lost

For the longest time, I thought I must have imagined Land of the Lost. There was no way a show this trippy could be real. Then, in college, someone once said, "he looks like a sleestack!" and it all came back to me in a rush of memory. Remember the motherless family lost in time, cavorting with Chaka and battling Alice the Allosaurus with a battering ram when she (weekly) attacked their cave?

Remember how the sleestacks would appear out of the mist? We heard them before we saw them, breathing their slurpy inhale-exhale in warning. Remember how their hands looked like a two fingered glove, one finger for your index and middle finger, one for your ring finger and pinky? Someone thought long & hard about that costume.


Their cave always looked so cozy; I wanted to creep into it (more about wanting to creep into things in my next Nostalgika post about X the Owl's house).


What was up with the crystals? I never got that part.


The dinosaurs were always so curious, in their claymation-kind-of-way, about the humans' doings.

They just don't make shows like that anymore.



Theme Song Lyrics

Marshall, Will and Holly
On a routine expedition
Met the greatest earthquake ever known
High on the rapids It struck their tiny raft (insert screams here)
And plunged them down a thousand feet below
To the Land of the Lost
To the Land of the Lost
To the Land of the Lost



15 comments:

Kris said...

Yes! I always liked the blonde girl's hair. Although it looked strangely like it was weighed down by Vaseline.

Brookelina said...

Now I'm going to be singing that fucking song all night.

Will was hot. He was the son right? He was hot.

Debby said...

OMFG, I had forgotten all about that show - it was real then, I hadn't dreamt it up


LMAO

Madge said...

This looks so familiar to me...

But nothing sounds familiar!

Damn!

MadMeer said...

This reminds me of a nasty run in I had with acid back in high school. I swear I saw those little alien guys once.

MadMeer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lee Ann said...

Oh wow....I vaguely remember it!

justacoolcat said...

I loved that show and not the song is stuck in my head too.

jamwall said...

oh christ. flashbacks and shit.

Juliabohemian said...

just remember to carry a flaming torch, in case the sleestacks get too close.

"AG" said...

Wow...love the nostalgika with gym class and TV. Land of the Last, I can still hear the opening song. However, that show has nothing on HR Puffinstuff as far as acid dropping producers.

t2ed said...

Bill Laimbeer (former Detroit Piston in the Bad Boy years) played one of the sleestacks while in high school. Essentially, they needed a bit mutant who fit into the costume.

miss kendra said...

i remember that show!

JJ said...

It was like their attempt to revive the Saturday matinee serials. I loved it. Bad effects and all.

Mama Pajama said...

Hell yes, Will was HOT. And not to get everyone all a-tizzy with envy but I had a pair of ski gloves/mittens that were exactly like the hands of a Sleestack. A thumb, an index finger and the last three digits all crammed together in one compartment.

Damn, I was cool.