March 06, 2007

Meditations on a Chilly Mannequin (reposting is my life)


Why are these poor, poor mannequins displayed in shop windows wearing next-to-nothing on a day when it is 22 degrees out? I, the potential customer passing by, am not tempted to buy these little items on a day like this, and especially when these cold, hard mannequins look so uncomfortable in them. Their cold, hard little nipples do not entice me either. They could chip ice. Eat a cheeseburger, you skinny perky bitch!

One time, in band camp … oh, who am I kidding? I never went to band camp! Estonian Girl Scout camp, baby! All the way! I think one of the high points of camp was when my friend Kulp and I decided to try “smoking” so we rolled up a bunch of cotton balls into a notebook-paper cylinder, lit it, and took a huge drag. After I recovered from the second-degree burns on my larynx, I decided that smoking might not be a healthy habit. It wasn’t until later that I began to crave the leaf, and while I never became a smoker, I kissed a lot of guys who did, just so I could get a contact buzz.

In 1984, also at camp, we went on this gigantic hike, wherein myself and 13 other people got lost in the woods of northern Ontario for 14 hours. It was scary, yet fun. At one point, we crossed a swamp, and Royd dropped all of the loaves of bread in the water. We survived on 2 boxes of raisins, a smoked meat stick, and 2 cans of beer shared between the 14 of us. We had already decided whom we would eat if we were lost for days, and luckily it wasn’t me (too stringy). As we hunted for a trail and fresh water, I decided I wanted to look pretty when they found my body so I put on blue eyeliner. 15 minutes later we hit a road and I’m pretty sure it was my blue eyeliner that scored us the lift from that pickup truck. Either that, or my 22 plastic bangle bracelets.

I was so fashionable in the 80's. Ohhhh, yeah. I had the little purse with the wooden handles and the interchangeable button-on covers. I had penny loafers with real pennies in them, sometimes dimes because I'm a rebel that way ... My hair feathered in the most perfect way, starting right in the middle at the part and traveling all the way down the side in a roll that ended at my shoulders. I wore the button-down shirt with the ribbon tied in a bow at my neck. And what about those sweaters with the puffy sleeves? Yes. Argyle vests? Yes. Knickers? Parachute pants? Adidas sneakers? Rubber bracelets? Headgear?? Yes, yes, yes, yes, oh god, yes.

I used to love shoelaces and ribbons with little pictures on them, like ice cream cones or pineapples, or little jumping frogs. I could not have enough of those. Today, I saw a girl with a belt that had little cherries embroidered on it, and I had a flashback to elementary school. It hit me like a wave. So fuck you again,
Amy Campbell!

19 comments:

jiggs said...

Shit. I want to read this but I'm tired, so I'm gonna have to come back to it.

dizzy von damn! said...

i *heart* you.

jiggs said...

Rock the headgear like it's 1984.

Had it been me that had been passed over for being eaten, I would have been a little pissed off.

"What?!? Are you saying you *don't* want to eat me? Why not! I'm sure I'd be tasty. Oh. Do you think you're too good to eat Irish food?"

t2ed said...

Just be glad you survived the Big Scary Storm with your leg warmers and acid wash jeans intact.

Willie Baronet said...

And were you wearing leg warmers too??

And screw b.o.b.i. with her 1984 comment. :-)

AndyT13 said...

Yu're so much fun to read. Rock on Estonia Queen.

babyjewels said...

I"m going to put on my banana clip and think fondly of you.

jamwall said...

you're merciously beating me into a time warp of preppie pumps, feathery hair and button-down clothes. i am evolving into an 80s man, i can see it!!! the mullet is starting to show..

Osbasso said...

You didn't strike me as the headgear type of girl.

I have also noticed that Amy Campbell really must have done a number on you! I know we've read about her, but damn!

BeckEye said...

This is even more sad when you realize that mannequins come to life every night when the stores are closed, and they're wandering around a store which, no doubt, has the heat turned off wearing next to nothing.

Shanshu said...

I was at the mall the other night, and I saw a poor mannequin with no clothes on at all! And she had nipples!

Oh, and her arms were ripped off. It was very violent and yet erotic.

Diedre said...

Amy Campbell you're in for it!

Anonymous said...

Whaaat? Those interchanging handbag numbers and penny loafers, etc. were circa 1966. I remember 'em well...circle pins at the collar, Bass Weejuns n'all.

Of course, as I was just saying yesterday, I would be getting high within the next year so it all came out in the wash anyway. (heh)

The 80's sucked. Disco? Fuhget about it. Thank god Peter Gabriel and INXS were around.

I'm jaded.
But I'm a raptor-worshipping jaded One.

Great posts. Great site. Always wish I had more time to spend here.

--

DaMasta said...

Amy Campbell *wish* she had penny fucking loafers and millions of bloggy people desperate to get into her pants!

I had those slap-on bracelets, weren't those fun - OW!

And remember those shoe laces that weren't really laces but instead they were curly little half-laces that "held" your shoe shut or so you hoped and bitchy little 8 yr olds who made fun of you for wearing them would pull the curl right out of them and you just wanted to smack them in the pouty little bonnie-bell glossed lips! grr!

Brian said...

RE: the mannequins, my thought is that they're junior high-age mannequins who don't want to wear heavy winter coats, because then they wouldn't look cool in front of the other mannequins.

I had a cranberry Members Only jacket, but it wasn't even an official MO jacket; I had to settle for a JC Pennys knock-off.

twolf1920 said...

GAWD you brough a FLOOD of memories back to me Spinnerina! m Ahh the 80's...What a freakish lot were we!

Remember Jams and Neon colors???

Remember Bolo ties? REALLY tight jeans?

none said...

Sounds like we grew up in the same era. I never participated in the fashion but I sure saw every kind of thing you mentioned.

Just like lord of the flies..lost for few hours and you're already looking to eat the poor fat kid ;)

Monkey said...

Could I love you anymore? Apparently I can!

Oh those poor mannequins. Oh those poor boys, unwittingly used for their nicotine tinged breath.

Your cruelty attracts me like a grove of bananas unguarded by dogs.

Princess Pointful said...

I smoked catnip once.
Not a high point in my life.

I also find headless mannequins particularly disturbing.

But what's not disturbing is the White keds that I personally puffy painted at Brownie camp!

(I think my reply may be even more random that your blog)