August 05, 2006

How it all went down.

So Quilting Girl and I went to this event. It was approximately 80,756,386 times better than I ever imagined.

(click to read about the event)


Two days before the big night, I got a phone call from one of the big honchos over at Scholastic, who told me that one of the questions I had submitted for the authors had been selected from among thousands of questions to be part of the Q & A portion of the program.

Q&A!

But wait, it gets better.


I got to ask the question.

At Radio City Music Hall, of John Irving, on camera, in front of 6000 people.
On a 103 degree day after I walked 10 blocks. But still!

QG and I got treated like VIPs. We got our seats upgraded from the already great
orchestra Row M to Orchestra row D. At the end of the reading portion of the show, I was escorted down the aisle to the mike, not 5 feet from stage, where these three greats were perching on chairs and waiting eagerly for the words to flow from my lips. After I was introduced by Soledad O'Brien, my 5 minutes of fame beagn.

I asked John Irving to share some of the personal stories that inspired events and characters in A Prayer for Owen Meany, my favorite book of his. He gave a lengthy, thoughtful, and fully satisfying answer. Some portions of the program are shown here.


AND I got to see surprise guests Whooppeee! Goldberg, Kathy Bates, Stanley Tucci, and Tim Robbins. Salman Rushdie and his son came out of hiding to ask a question. Not to mention the presence of SK, my fave of faves. Thanks, Steve, for a great night. Not the first one we've spent together, but certainly one of the better ones.


All in all, an utterly fabu day in the life of Spinning Girl.


(click to visit Steve)

10 comments:

Osbasso said...

You're, like, famous and shit now, aren't you? Did you leave anything out, like tripping down the aisle or hiccupping or mispronouncing anything?

That is totally way cool!

Lee Ann said...

Wow, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing your wonderful night, I could feel the excitement in your description.

Scarlet Hip said...

Wow wow wow wow wow.


WOW!

BadGod said...

You were very close to a famous person named Anthony. That's right, Anthony.

Who's Anthony? Anthony of the Opie and Anthony show!

You were in the same room as him!
You listen to Opie and Anthony, don't you?
Hello? Is this thing on?

madge said...

It's official: you're too cool for school.

dizzy von damn! said...

WOW!

i'm so jealous.

this is testament to your beauty and brilliance.

jamwall said...

you almost made a spinning and soledad o'brien sandwich.

that's hot!

t2ed said...

But did you manage to save Harry P?

All the cool kids want to know...

platts42 said...

I'm running late, but GODDAMN! that's awsome.

Congratulations, I'm very happy for you.

I would have asked Mr. King...Dude, don't you let anyone edit a word you say? Did you really have to put 25+ pages of deer skinning in the last Dark Tower book? Crap what about the connection to Insomnia? Why didn't we learn more about the tower? May I come up there and fucking strangle you with love and affection? Will JK join the Rock Bottom Remainders? Etc.

Anonymous said...

damn SG, i am so jealous...

as i said, i REALLY wanted to go to this one, but RL kept me away..

SK is my fav as well.......