October 09, 2005

Poison Quill III: Spinning Girl Takes on The Moose


February 6, 2005

Dear Compassionate Customer Service Representative of [Enormous outdoor gear company based in Maine, henceforth known as Randy Rugged Moose, Inc.-- R.R. Moose for short]:

I am writing to let you know of a recent disappointing experience involving your company, with which I have been very happy until this incident. I’ve been a customer for years, always enjoying the quality of your goods, promptness of delivery, and your efforts to keep the customer happy.

It was therefore with great dismay that I was faced with a series of sloppy efforts and screw-ups prior to the holidays, followed by no attempts to placate me.

I ordered a handbag on December 8th that I had hoped would arrive in the week or so that I’ve grown accustomed to, as a long-standing customer. When it failed to arrive, I called customer service and was informed that it should be arriving at any time. Two phone calls over the next 2 weeks led to a Dec. 22 conversation in which I was informed that the bag had, in fact, never been shipped!

A new bag was promptly placed in the mail for me, and it arrived at the end of December, a bit late for the intended recipient but no real harm done.

With all of this aggravation I was certain that when I opened the package I would discover a nice little R.R.Moose coupon with a “sorry for the inconvenience” or a “thank you for your patience” written on it. But … no coupon. In fact, I paid full price ($59!) for the bag and sacrificed one of my hard-earned R.R.Moose VISA $10 coupons to deduct from the price. I already get free shipping for using your VISA card, so I couldn’t even get a shipping deduction.

Usually, when a customer has called three times to inquire about an order and then it turns out that an error in the company’s shipping room caused the delay, the company throws the customer a small bone to make them wag their tail and come back once in a while. Not to mention telling all their friends about the wonderful experience they had had with that company’s customer service!

Not so in this instance. I just sat by the mailbox, relying on my faith in past instances when R.R. Moose showed that the customer’s satisfaction came first. Maybe the same people who handled bag #1 were in charge of customer-pleasing “we’re sorry we goofed” coupons this time.

Thank you for your time.
Spinning Girl
  • I received two $10 coupons for this letter, which made me happy. I still shop at this company all the time. Thanks, R.R. Moose! If you don't have an R.R. Moose in your area, maybe you would like this almost identical sister company for all of your rugged outdoorsy needs.
  • This concludes the Poison Quill series for now. Do not weep, for there will be more. Someday.

25 comments:

babyjewels said...

There was a time, at LL, where they would flat out replace workboots when they wore out. Everything had a lifetime guarantee. I know this because hubs family hails from portland, ME. Many relatives have worked there. They definitely don't do that anymore. Glad it worked out in the end, but it shouldn't have taken so much effort to get it settled.

Heather said...

I agree with BabyJewels.. and good for you for sticking up for yourself. Gives me hope that when I call up the Disney store for a similar experience they will be so kind :)

Harry Yak said...

do they sell socks? warm socks are best. i don't like dress socks.

Michaela said...

Go on with your bad self!!

I sent a letter to Gap one time for very poor customer service during the holidays, and recieved a $50 gift card in return! They have since gotten alot better with how they handle returns and sticky situations.

jamwall said...

i see what your doing.....shaking that little pen of yours...getting high discounts!

cheeky monkey! ;)

Monkey said...

Another beautifully written poisonous letter.

In other news: I have to say that Beans tightened their rules concerning their lifetime guarantee due to a rash of "theft by deception".

A lot of people were stealing things, like backpacks etc. and bringing them in for a refund. So, a few bad apples ruined it for all of us.

That said, they recently repaired a 20 year old dufflebag for me.

That said, their service has been slipping since they laid off a ton of people. Profit margin you know.

Monkey said...

"That said" is my phrase of the day. "That said."

FRITZ said...

See, LL Bean and RR Moose tend to cater to people like my parents. Wealthy people who live in the suburbs and flip through the catalog on down time or on the pot. Then, people like my mother or father will order a seventy dollar 'Adirondack Mountain Weave' sweater and wear it to the Mall. On Saturdays. When the sun is shining.

My point? I don't know. I guess I just don't like LL Bean or RR Moose.

Harry Yak said...

forgot to mention congratulations on over 20,000 hits on the old blog.

Harry Yak said...

also with my first post i did not intend to imply that i need socks. i have socks on at this very moment. i have socks in my sock drawer. i have an entire drawer dedicated to the storage of my socks.

Calzone said...

There was a time when you could steal something from LL Bean and return it for cash, then you could take that cash and buy PBR's with it.

Harry Yak said...

what is a pbr? public broadcasting radio? i don't get it.

Calzone said...

PABST BLUE RIBBON!!!!!

Always cheap on draft

Pirate said...

sounds like their new public rep person probably got their training either at WalMart or the DMV.

mr_g said...

RR Moose...LL Bean...I guessed right! you shoud've had a contest with prizes and stuff! I could've finally won something!

Marisa said...

I'm *sure* it was the tail-wagging line that got 'em!

[[My word verification is: pyyshyts. Pie shits?!? How rude!]]

Monkey said...

A non-sequitur...

"gadonkadonk" is my new favorite word.

Harry Yak said...

hmmm i'm starting to worry. before monkey monkeynapped me sg was around a lot. now that i have made my escape she is nowhere to be found...........monkey are you responsible?

LBseahag said...

good job...bad service needs to be pointed out...

a few weeks ago i slipped and fell on water in Rite Aid...
i work as a trainer in the hotel industry...
i trained the kid on how to fill out an accident report..and called the GM and offered my services since he wasnt cutting the mustard..
customer service blows nowadays...

Juliabohemian said...

love that catalog picture

I know my husband and I often like to go for strolls in the park and gayfully toss handfuls of leaves up into the air.

Harry Yak said...

monday morning and still no sg......monkey you better not be up to something.

Harry Yak said...

monday afternoon and still no sg.....

i can't wait for school to be out.

Harry Yak said...

what time does school get out?

Lee Ann said...

Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the oil! Too bad you have to be squeaky in the first place!

Ben O. said...

I love those RR Moose "Crap-mucking golashes" . . . the craftsmanship is exquisite. Three stitched per inche, wow!

Ben O.