August 31, 2005

The Queen Speaks

I was trying to think of what to write about, and I have so many things I could say that I can't say anything. I'm too tired, besides; going back to work is kicking my butt. I don't feel funny, and I'm not feeling all profound & shit either, so instead I will just tell you a story about my 4th of July in Newport, Rhode Island.


We had the best seats in the house for the fireworks being launched from the nearby fort -- on our deck, directly facing the harbor. The harbor was loaded with boats, from the smallest little dinghy to beautiful yachts, and the Queen Mary II. She was pretty far away, but even from a distance her size is unfathomable:


Spinning Girl apologizes for sub-par photography.

The light show was bright and brilliant, of course, with all the proper levels of claps, thuds, and oooohhhs; but the highlight was close to the end, when all of the boats started blowing their horns. There were little unintrusive squeaks, airhorns, what sounded like oogah horns (do people put those on boats?), and the low melodic chords of the bigger yachts. Of course, we were all waiting for QM2 to blow her horn, but she wouldn't. We thought maybe she wasn't allowed. Bummer. After the finale ended, the horn-blowing continued for a few minutes. It was absolutely deafening. All of a sudden, the lowest chord I have ever heard vibrated seemingly from underground, from overhead, from the air around us. It was the Voice of God:

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

And that was it, just the one long chord, followed by an enormous cheer. The queen had said her piece, and she slowly sailed away.

14 comments:

Monkey said...

Sounds like the Queen burped.

Simple American said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to get a new pic by this weekend. I'm never in pictures so it is hard to find one of me.

Sounds life you had a good time. I would love to learn how to sail.

Juliabohemian said...

that's really funny. I didn't know there was another Queen Mary. I live near the original one, which is in Long Beach, CA. People have weddings there and whatnot.

Heather said...

We had a great 4th of July too... when we parked our car and got out and got positioned.. we realized we would be right under the fireworks. So as me and my husband and my 3 adorable babies laid on our blanket and got the crowd to begin the oohs.. and ahhs... and oooos... it was one of those beautiful moments that I stick in my pocket and treasure.

Pirate said...

the queen is a bitch

B.O.B.I. said...

monkey said...
Sounds like the Queen burped.

I don't think that was a burp...

Bobby said...

queens can be some of the noisiest people.

BadGod said...

So where's the full frontal you promised me in the comments to your last post??

OH, you didn't promise 'em.

Fine I'll just photo shop you half head shot on Kate Beckinsdale and go from there.

Thanks, and good day!

art said...

Rhode Island is beautiful

The Foxybrown Show said...

What? The Season Finale of The Foxybrown Show?
Could it be? That Foxy is a bad motha…Shut yo mouth!

babyjewels said...

great story. my best fireworks experience was sailfest in new london many years ago.

mr_g said...

Fourth on the Water is always fun! Spent a few in Newport myself....Newport Beach California that is (Same Attitudes/newer money...). And when I lived in Malibu I would walk the 1/4 mile down my mountain road to the curve overlooking the ocean and watch the displays off the coast...always fun!

Spinning Girl said...

Gee Foxybrown, never seen you before but thanks for stopping by my blog to sell your wares.

Lee Ann said...

Wow, great place to watch fireworks.