March 09, 2007

Friday's Feast

(push the button)

Feast One Hundred and Thirty Four

Appetizer
What is your usual bedtime? Do you like that, or would you rather it be different?

I go to bed between 10:30 and 11:00 most nights, with fluctuations based upon how hard the 8th graders kicked my ass on a given day. I have been known to get in bed at 6:00. Lame! Sometimes I stay up way too late, and then I pay. Morning SG hates night-party SG.

Soup
When it comes to advice, do you give more or receive more?

I am not a huge giver of advice, unless asked. Even then, I'd rather listen. People usually figure out what they want to do. I've received some great advice from people, usually after they have listened quite a bit. Listening is so very important!

Salad
Describe a memorable meal you've had.

A meal that brought tears to my eyes is the goat cheese & portobello mushroom crostini at The Good News Cafe. Actually, looking at the amazing menu, here is its official description: Warm Portobello Mushroom Toast & "Coach Farm" goat cheese with roasted peppers, greens & miso dressing. The combination of flavors in this is so exquisite that words fail me. And when have we known that to happen?!?!?

Main Course
Name a work of fiction that affected the way you think about something.

Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible changed my thinking about the plenty of this country against the backdrop of Africa's poverty. It caused me to have a meltdown at the grocery store, in the toothpaste aisle. I was faced with row upon row of bright boxed toothpaste packaging and I thought, why on earth do we need to put something that is already in a tube, into a box!?!?!?!? And so many choices!!! Meanwhile, in my novel, the village had to burn a hill and shoot every animal as it jumped through the flames, to get meat for survival. Little children combed the burnt hillside putting crispy roasted bugs into their baskets. And here I was in comfortable shoes, well-fed, faced with 20 choices of brightly-colored boxes of paste for cleaning my teeth, for chrissake. It was just too much.

Dessert
What is your favorite type of fruit juice?
Duh! Apple cider!

9 comments:

jiggs said...

how could I be the first to comment on this?

Friday's feast was satisfying and refreshing. I don't ever want to poop it out.

ajooja said...

I think I'm going to steal your meal.


... I'm a poet, by the way.

Lee Ann said...

I try to get to bed before midnight....midnight is really too late for that early morning wake up alarm.
You are right, listening is so important. I have found that sometimes people just need to say something out loud to figure out the answers.
Sounds like you had an excellent salad and main course!
My favorite fruit juice is apple, Orange juice is just too acidic.

Madge said...

Yer soup was tasty.

MsLittlePea said...

I'll have to check out that book. That Cofee down there made my mouth water dammit.

jamwall said...

when i'm in the grocery isle, i'm given a choice of several brightly colored processed cheese products that i can butter my thighs with.

Monkey said...

I see that if we went out to dinner, we might order the exact same thing.

Feel no shame about going to bed at 6PM, or melting down in a grocery store over the over abundance we wallow in here in the U.S. A lot of us do those things. Some of us are monkeys even.

Loved the Poisonwood Bible so much!

Brookelina said...

Now I'm totally hungry.

miss kendra said...

the toothpaste thing happens to me all the time.