I don’t think anybody could be as happy as I am at this very moment. Well, maybe every other teacher in New England ... but mine is a particular kind of happiness because I wanted it, I prayed for it, I did the dance, I put ice cubes down the toilet, I slept with my entire silverware drawer dumped into my bed, I said “see you Thursday” to the kids. And this morning, when the phone rang at 5:00 to tell me we had a snowday, I smiled because I finally got my way. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! Joy of joys. Better than a weekend, more delicious than summer vacation, this borrowed time, this cocoa day, this pajama day.
Teachers pretend not to like snow days, and moan about the time having to be made up in June, about the quadratic formulas that won’t get practiced today, the verbs that won't get conjugated. A few might really believe this, and grumble as they gaze out the window, cursing the sleet. All that learning time, wasted ...
Teachers pretend not to like snow days, and moan about the time having to be made up in June, about the quadratic formulas that won’t get practiced today, the verbs that won't get conjugated. A few might really believe this, and grumble as they gaze out the window, cursing the sleet. All that learning time, wasted ...Ha! Secretly, inwardly, we are children just standing at the door with our sleds in our hands and our mittens dangling on strings from our sleeves. At least, I am that way, and forget about June ... it’s all about immediate gratification here in Spinning Land.
8 comments:
I am envious SG ! Enjoy your day !!
I don't think we ever got a snow day here, as a student or as a teacher... But I envy those who do! Enjoy every second of it!
Happy Valentine's Day, SG!
I love snow days too! Especially since I teach at a college and we don't have to make up the days—just cram in more lecture during the next class.
I've never been happier to hear "Chatty Big-Butt Cathy" than I was this morning. Her usually raspy voice was a welcomed sound when she said, "No School Today!". Ahh... our prayers were answered! :)
snuggle for me!
LET ER SNOW!!!
I live in Minnesota, and we have not had alot of it!
Thats just twisted and WRONG if you ask me!
It's snowing to beat the band here too but I don't get a snow day. The down side of working from home via computers. Damn Internet!
(On the other hand, I can go to work in my drawers, scratch my crotch and visit the odd blog.)
You got all the snow we had yesterday. And you got that snow day from me. Cheers, and Happy Valentine's Day!
Post a Comment