October 16, 2006

Spinning Through the Years: A Photo Journey

Sorting through my parents' and grandparents' albums, I found pictures that I want to share. This was in the days before my new scanner, so they are photos of photos. The technology is primitive, but the motive is grand in scope. Perhaps by seeing who I was, I can understand who I am.
Could my parents be more fabu?!? I love that my dad is wearing his Beethoven sweatshirt. We still have it, somewhere. In this picture they are about ... oh, 12 years younger than I am now. OK, that makes me sad.
1969. Shortly after the first picture, perhaps only minutes later, we two were conceived. I am on the right. Notice how I am always holding on to the things I care about. Also, I am always making a face.

Circa 1970. My twin sister Twirling Girl does not return my affection with quite the same zeal. I believe there may be about four bunny slippers in this photo. My mama has great legs.

Circa 1971. The baking begins. We are very serious about our little pies. TG always has a hairdo and I look like a wild little boy.

1973. There are many important things going on here. 1. My back is to the camera because I am steering the boat! This is a very important job! It is achieved by pulling to the right and left on the railing!!! 2. My mother looks like a movie star; also, these sunglasses, which she has been wearing ever since, are finally back in fashion. 3. Tuuna Taco has arrived, and looks like a little doll. 4. TG is biting her lip is angst, an expression that she still makes often, and it breaks my little heart to see that familiar expression on her tiny little 4-year-old face.

Here, photo evidence that I never brushed the back of my head; a fact I have alluded to but never shown. Do not be fooled by the jauntily placed barrette! Also, rubber boots and cats were important features in our formative years.

The small gnome in this photo is actually TT, my baby sister. I am clutching her because I am very protective and she is my special project (she still is). This birch resides at my grandparents' farm, and now that granny is in a care facility I may never see it again. I didn't know I would be sad about this until just now.



The Official Child Labor Uniform for lawn care is Toughskinsand piggytails. I still wear both when I rake acorns in my new back lawn. I believe that in my lifetime I have picked up approximately 483,902,331 sticks.

The living room and basement were the main rooms for play and for photo-taking. Here we cradle our Child Comfort Objects of choice. I don't know why TG has that doll; she should be holding her koala, Nipitiri, which was her favorite toy. I am holding Lumimõmm*, a very special bear whom I still have (in a bin somewhere) and for whom I made a very small quilted vest. I know what you are thinking! Say it. Say it!!! TT of course has the omnipresent Dressy Bessy, who followed her (and I suspect helped take some of her tests through) high school. *Lumi=snow mõmm=the sound a bear makes

Christmas was all about singing carols with the cousins. This would be about 1975. Check the go-go boots on cousin #2! I am in the red shirt, flanked by cousin #3 and TG. At the time of this photo we have not yet discovered the game of John and Maria. That piano in the background is going to be in my living room in about 2 weeks.

We all thought my uncle was the greatest, funniest dude of all time! Cousin #2 struggles not to laugh, but cousin #1 is not amused.

Circa 1976. We are all wearing handmade vests and/or sweaters here. Wait ... I think TG might be wearing a vest made of the same fabric as the vest I made for Lumimõmm. Let me go check ... yup. Wow, I never realized that. [By the way -- that bin is full of some great stuff. Watch for a future post on it!] I also love that TT has her knees up inside her brand new sweater, and that my dad is dressed like Carl Sagan.

My grandparents' cider press was one of the best things they ever bought. There is nothing better than foamy cider straight off the press. Here, I am sampling for quality. TT watches my every move, for she recognizes that I am wise beyond my years.

All right, so I skipped documentation of middle school entirely. The Babe Years really do deserve their very own post, do you not agree? Here the three sisters demonstrate their love of all things furry; this is taken in the "back 40" of my grandparents' farm. Notice the similarity in posture between me & TG here and in photo 3. TT looks a little bit lost without me holding on to her. I must remember to make up for that next time I see her.

26 comments:

Lightning Bug's Butt said...

Sweet pics. I just finished digitizing a bunch of my old stuff. What memories they conjure.

Kris said...

Truthfully, I'm not sure hotter parents, or more adorable kids, have ever been captured on film. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Nice, very nice. I've been wanting to do a post like this for a long time.

I must go buy a scanner now.

Übermilf said...

Nothing...nothing beats family pictures from the 1970's.

Anonymous said...

You really are holding someone/thing in each photograph! That is a keen observation...

And you are beautiful. And your whole family is beautiful. Not to mention: your mom is Vogue-status (case in point, every picture).

I heart when you do these kinds of posts.

Anonymous said...

you really and truely are the most fabulous person on the internet!
these are lovely, lovely photos and memories :)

Bill said...

It's interesting you should post this now. Since I'm moving (and packing) I've been going through lots of old stuff and discovering loads of pictures etc. So I'm reacquainting myself mith my past.

Curious how these gain meaning over time while still holding their essential meaning. (Which means, I think, we don't understand what people and events mean to us until long after.)

Osbasso said...

This is a great post! I think the old scanner needs to come out for a bit. I love this!

BTW--it's easy to tell where you get your great looks. Your mom looks fantastic!

jiggs said...

spinner's memory lane. Although as you point out, the bear thing is ironic.

Kat said...

That was pretty cool of you to share all that.

ps...I hope you always tell your mama she's a super model...not just cause she is, but because she melts inside everytime her daughter tells her so.

Slyde said...

Wow Spinning... you really are your mother's daughter. You have the exact same eyes.

Very nice pics! You seem to have a super family!

Freewheel said...

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Your parents look like movies stars, especially in that first photo. And of course, you and your sisters are very cute. I'm sure the three of you grew up to be heartbreakers.

amera hearts said...

great pics. i wish i had pics of me growing up. my parents didn't like to take pictures so there are sporadic pics of me lying around their house.

miss kendra said...

i love your pictures, and i think you are the most luminous creature on the internets.

Brookelina said...

These are so great! And your dad in that Beethoven sweatshirt? Rowr!

aughra said...

Your dad was dressed like Carl Sagan! I love these pictures. I love your mom's sunglasses - I have a pair. These photos are lovely.

Sleep Goblin said...

I love you for all you write.

Trundling Grunt said...

That's a very cool history in pictures. Fascinating.

Tits McGee said...

I want to make out with every single member of your family.

But you most of all.

jamwall said...

spinner, you are friggin adorable in every time period.

i'm spreading you all over my slice of wonderbread!

jamwall said...

i totally concur with Übes, 70s family pics rule.

B.E. Earl said...

That second pic is hysterical! Looks like something out of a "Little Rascals" episode.

Those ain't babies! Them's fidgets!

Mom of Three said...

Your parents were totally the beautiful people!

I grew up during the same time frame. I think I had that same red shirt for Christmas!

LBseahag said...

this was awesome...

so is your uncle still hot?

Monkey said...

Oh my. I had to wait until I had the proper amount of time to devote to this post and then I had to wait a day to comment, as blogger was being evil yesterday.

I too love it when you do posts like these. Your parents are indeed fabu. (We had a John and Maria game too! I was often the boy.) Oh wonder of wonders. As others have said, family pictures from the 70's are the best. The best I tell you!

DaMasta said...

I almost forgot how beautiful you are. You always inspire me to tell my own stories with the way you tell yours. :) Thanks for the glimpse.