April 20, 2006

True Nature

In answer to SignGurl's question, yes, I am a twin! Newer readers may not know that. Here (again) is one of my favorite posts from last fall, called Keeping it Simple:

I always get a little nostalgic at this time of year; I don't know why, but I know the types of things that enhance it. World events, going back to school, the slow decline of wonderful summer tomatoes, the smell of chimneys being test-fired ... all of these things put me in a mindframe of reflection, renewal, re-evaluation.

In my house, on my stairs, I have a set of 6 pictures that I copied from deep within my parents' photo albums. I have always loved these pictures. I put them in view so I could look at them daily and remind myself of something important.

Upon closer look, you can see that they are all pictures taken within moments of each other. It's me, three-and-a-half-year-old Spinning Girl, and my twin, playing on a New Jersey beach in 1971.

Spinning Girl (left) and Twirling Girl (right)






I'm always holding on to her.

When I get all caught up in minutiae, schedules and rent and bills and who said what, I pause and look closely at my face in these pictures, because I think a secret lives in there.

The secret is: Therein lies my true nature.

My truest self, before all the little annoying details of life tried to obscure it, is there in that face. Therein lies all the hope of a girl destined to spin out her days, laughing to the wind.

I must remember always, always to be good to her.

10 comments:

Osbasso said...

What a couple of cuties! I think we all have that secret one somewhere hidden inside. Some deep, some close to the surface...

Big Mama said...

You two are so beautiful. I always wished for a sister but alas I remain the only girl and the youngest. You are so blessed. Please never ever take her for granted.

Photoflower said...

those are some of the most beautiful photos I have ever seen

my eyes are slightly leaky over them

FU said...

preettyy pics.. :)

madge said...

I remember this; you have the cutest butts.

jiggs said...

yay for two ones.

DaMasta said...

When people tell me they have a twin, I always think it's a joke. Like they're trying to pull my leg. I dunno why. I guess it's from watching too many sitcoms.

Seriously though, when I look at old pictures of myself when I was younger, I see the same thing. I see carefree, truely happy eyes... alive.. totally oblivious to the turmoil and drama that would surround the rest of her life. And the scary part is, I don't remember being young. Seriously, it's completely vanished from my memory. All I have are pictures.

BlogLaughs said...

I love seeing those pictures. You guys are so cute. :)

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

This is utterly fabu. Here's to you both!

Anonymous said...

i need to find that little one..
or maybe,
i need to hide her