August 24, 2010

I have earworms.

I sort of promised myself and a friend that I'd blog every day, regardless of how I am feeling or how blocked I am.  I think I have to write every day to discover things to write about.  Today I am going to write about earworms.

Dictionary.com:


Main Entry:   earworm 
  Part of Speech:   n
Definition:   a song or tune that gets stuck in one's mind and repeats 
as if on a tape; also written ear-worm,ear worm
also called cognitive itchsticky tune
Example:   The song played in the grocery store became 
an earworm for her.
Etymology:   German ohrwurm


So, because I share a house with somebody as silly as myself, there is a lot of verbal trash floating around in the air. Between that and choir and the general noise of my head, I have a few tunes & sayings that keep popping into my head and sometimes out my mouth. I really need help planting new worms! Help me!

Here is a sampling of what is going on:

  • Cruel to be Kind by Nick Lowe
  • And the Glory of the Lord (Handel, Messiah)
  • tap, tap, taptaptap, taptaptaptap., Dog Show! (from SNL)
  • They say love .... don't come eeeaaasyyyyy... (Wes, from the Bachelorette and now Bachelor Pad)
  • "Totes" (Jamwall's way of saying "totally", picked up from Calzone the Dragon and friends)
  • In Exclesis Deo from some Christmas carol
As you can see, it is quite noisy.  I am especially annoyed by Nick Lowe and Dog Show!

Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to plant a few new earworms in my head.  Hopefully they will replace the existing ones and not simply compound the cacophony (say that 5x fast!).

6 comments:

Sleep Goblin said...

Man! Now Come all Ye Faithful is going to be stuck in my head too!

Cormac Brown said...

"Crawling From The Wreckage" by Dave Edmunds

"Give It Away Now" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers

"Punk Rock Girl" by The Dead Milkmen

Tactless Wonder said...

They say if you hum "The Girl from Iponema" that whatever burrowing going on in your head will go away (I got this from NPR, it must be true), however, no matter what you do, do not sing the words...there is no known cure for that damage...

J said...

Uh... situ ruttu, karu tuleb?

jamwall said...

All I know is the legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee

Anonymous said...

I was singing "Dog Show" the other day and couldn't remember where it was from. thanks for clearing it up :D