November 29, 2005

Lifted

There’s a small boy in my school, a sixth grader, who rides around in a tiny little wheelchair and has a one-on-one aide to help him. Every day I see him leaving school; he wheels cheerfully outside with his aide and his mother picks him up in her van. He can walk; I’m not sure exactly why he’s in the wheelchair; it has something to do with his bones breaking easily.

Yesterday, I left right at dismissal and I passed the mother’s van just in time to see her lifting her small boy in through the side door. In a split-second interval I watched a choreography that the two of them have rehearsed every day -- how many times, how many days, of this? -- The boy, standing straight and stiff in front of his mother, so that she could wrap her arms around him and, a small person herself, gently hoist him up into the van. There was so much poetry in his simple, patient, expectant pose; in her sure and steady balance. The routine fluidity of the movement told a story; In that fraction of a moment I secretly witnessed the simple dance of love between a mother and her beautiful, bright-eyed, breakable boy.

23 comments:

miss kendra said...

that was lovely.

tuuna taco said...

Are you TRYING to make me cry?!?!

I was reminded of Owen Meany!!

Cap'n Marrrrk said...

That love you describe, that daily ballet is all that stops the boy from becoming a super villian like in the movie Unbreakable.

You have a gift with words S.G.

And as usual I'm running late...nice to see what you look like. Pretty Lady With Nice Hair Sparkly Eyes.

fpctedme...you did WHAT to me?

Cupcake said...

I have to stop reading your blog at work. Now I have to go fix my mascara. sheesh.

Beautiful, Spinny. Beautiful.

FRITZ said...

You have so poignantly verbalized the beauty I experience everyday working with mentally retarded/developmentally disabled people. Each one, a shining little gift of something extraordinary.

ticharu said...

Touching

Michaela said...

You people are all making me cry today! First Fritz and now you Spinning Girl.

Very touching. You describe something so subtle and make it so familiar to everyone, that is truly a gift.

buddha_girl said...

Amazing...

I have a kid in one of my classes who has muscular dystrophy. He's had several surgeries to help...blah blah blah...and will always be fighting this problem.

When I chaperoned a school dance a couple of weeks ago, he was shaking a leg like a maniac on the dance floor. He forgot himself and actually ended up flat on the floor. No one laughed. No one pointed. He was cracking up so badly it took me and the resource officer to get him upright. What did he do? Immediately started dancing again.

Melliferous Pants said...

I'm crying.

Lee Ann said...

That is lovely.

babyjewels said...

just what kendra said. really.

Madge said...

ditto

Heather said...

amazing!

LBseahag said...

wow...that was tender...when i first started reading it, i was hoping you were gonna nail it with something damn funny...

i will...

Violet said...

that was really poignant

BadGod said...

My mom used to drink and hit me.

Not really.

(crickets chirping.......)

Is this thing on? Hello?

JJ said...

You are too good.

Juliabohemian said...

My mom does that job for a living. She worked for a while with a boy like that. I forget the name of the disease.

Shoe Diva said...

that brought some tears to me eyes.

I should have gotten my degree in teaching, I love kids

synaesthetica said...

so beautiful

twolf1920 said...

That was a cool story Spinning!

Kris said...

This is a lovely moment, and you captured it beautifully.

Monkey said...

This was beautiful. Moments like these can make me cry.