December 09, 2005

Snow Day

I don’t think anybody could be as happy as I am at this very moment. Well, maybe every other teacher in New England ... but mine is a particular kind of happiness because I wanted it, I prayed for it, I did the dance, I didn’t lay my clothes out, I didn’t set up coffee, I said “see you Monday” to the kids. And this morning, when the phone rang at 5:00 to tell me we had a snowday, I smiled because I finally got my way. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! Joy of joys. Better than a weekend, more delicious than summer vacation, this borrowed time, this cocoa day, this pajama day.

The view from my daeck at 8 AM

Teachers pretend not to like snow days, and moan about the time having to be made up in June, about the quadratic formulas that won’t get practiced today, the verbs that won't get conjugated.

Ha! Secretly, inwardly, we are children just standing at the door with our sleds in our hands and our mittens dangling on strings from our sleeves. At least, I am that way, and forget about June ... it’s all about immediate gratification here in Spinning Land.

11 comments:

DaMasta said...

I live for immediate gratification. Why do you think I prefer drive thru Mexican food? Hmm? Well?

Back to you. Remember: Don't be a Hoeflake this holiday season - bundle up.

Paul said...

I love snowy pictures like that. Well done!

lime said...

hehehehe, enjoy it!

Osbasso said...

In 11 years of teaching, I never got a snow day. I guess Montanans just expect that sort of thing. We did, however, cancel the last two weeks of school for a volcano, so that was pretty cool.

Madge said...

Snow days are the best days...pajamas all day...

Cap'n Marrrrk said...

Happy Day!

buddha_girl said...

Ooooooooh I know the feeling! I had a snow day yesterday AND on Monday. I thought I would die from pure joy. Congrats on the three-day weekend with the white stuff!

Weary Hag said...

I'm with you. Nothin says lovin like that radio voice telling me I can get back under the cozy covers till cocoa time! Oh yeah.

LBseahag said...

You painted that picture perfectly, as usual...

I miss snow days i had growing up in Denver...

Monkey said...

My aunts are both teachers and have always loved snow days. Now that I am a parent, some days I like snow days, some days... not so much.

However, on Friday I stayed in my jammies on principal. Well... not on the principal, on principal... you see... um.

FRITZ said...

What a wonderful tribute to playing legal hookie.

Makes me ALMOST miss high school...those days when back into a snuggly bed I fell, waking up to videos and books and no worries about teenage fiends.