- 4 soldiers were captured and buried up to their necks, facing a brick wall, with hats on their heads as shown:
In order to be released, one soldier must say one word, and one word only: The color of the hat atop his own head.
Each soldier can only see what is in front of them.
- A sees the wall.
- B sees the wall.
- C sees B and the wall.
- D sees B, C, and the wall.
- Nobody can see their own hat, only the hats on top of the people in front of them.
- They know there are two hats of each color, but not the color of their own hat.
- All they know is what they see.
- The soldiers are told that they must guess the color of the hat on their own head.
- The captors will accept only the first answer that they hear yelled out.
- There is to be no discussion or multiple guessing.
- The soldiers are instructed that if any of them speaks, except for yelling out the color of the hat on his OWN head, they will all be instantly killed!
- If one soldier yells out the color of the hat on his own head, and is correct, they will all go free.
- They are given two minutes.
- The captors start the timer.
- A minute and a half goes by, and then one of the soldiers does in fact yell out the correct color.
Which soldier is it, and how did he know?
Don't give up too easily. When you have exhausted yourself, click here for the answer.