August 10, 2005

Story People

Legacy

Portion of image -- Copyright 2002 Story People ("Kindred Spirits")

I promise you not a moment will be lost as long as I have heart & voice to speak & we will walk again together with a thousand others & a thousand more & on & on until there is no one among us who does not know the truth: there is no future without love.
--Brian Andreas
Story People is the art of Brian Andreas, a native Iowan who takes everyday tidbits of Life and works them into beautiful, simple little phrases that touch the heart. If you are not familiar with his work, I would recommend that you acquaint yourself with it! I own all of his books, and they make wonderful reading at night, before bedtime; during 9-11 and during my own struggles in life, his little stories have brought me much-needed comfort. Here are a few more of my favorites:
Nothing More
Often, I write all day long with white ink on white paper, late into the night, until it is all I can do to feel the letters curving to earth from the tip of the pen & then, I fall asleep. Dreaming of running, or maybe driving in a car the color of water & I wake the next day remembering nothing & I gather the stack of paper & a pen of black on the desk in front of me & the words begin to dance over the page like long legged insects across a still lake & the words in white whisper behind & underneath the new day. If there is any secret to this life I live, this is it: the sound of what cannot be seen sings within everything that can. & there is nothing more to it than that.
Real Reason
There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
Big Plans
Your job is to focus on my personal happiness, she said, & I've got big plans, so break time is over.
This is a pretty touchy-feely-esque post, I know... but I'm feeling touchy-feely. Check out the Story People website and see what you think. I also use them as quick e-greetings, which beats the played Hallmark stuff.

8 comments:

Johnny Retail said...

The noise of traffic faded as I listened to the rustic sound of fallen leaves passing through my open toed sandles...it was then that goose bumps formed, I quivered and thought...where the hell are my socks!

-That is my attempted at being touchy feely :)

The Everglades said...

Touchy feely is okay!

Blake

Juliabohemian said...

I want to say clever things!

B.O.B.I. said...

I want her to say clever things!

Danius Maximus said...

See the thing most people don't realize is that Peter Jennings was a pimp. Rather had nothing on him; the soothing yet commanding voice and a sharp eye for a good suit; news as we know it is dead...

BadGod said...

I am always up for a game of touchy-feely.

Anyhoo... I am also from Iowa. My name is also Brian......hmmmm. Could it be? No. Not him.
I will try though. See what you think of this...

"I write the songs that make the whole world... oh wait, that was Barry Manilow. Ok, how about this....

I always enjoy the sunset. The crisp bite of the colors, yet soft and playful. I think that is greatest thing for one to see, for it reminds us we have made it through another day. Only to welcome the dawn of a new one.

Wow! Holy fuck, I need to right that crap down.

Me said...

sure...i will check it....thanx for the url...

austinizer said...

the monkey is on vacation but he'll have something on friday, he says. :)